Job Canada

US Nonimmigrant Visas for Canadians and Mexicans!

Written by Amine

Citizens of Canada and Mexico are authorized to work in the United States under NAFTA Professional or TN visas (nonimmigrant visas). NAFTA stands for North American Free Trade Agreement and allows for specific trade and economic relationships between the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Over 60 occupations are recruited under NAFTA, which is the basis for one of the important eligibility criteria. Temporary or nonimmigrant visas are granted to work in the United States based on these specialized occupations. This visa is valid for three years at a specific time.

Applicants for this visa must identify the following eligibility criteria:

  • Applicants must be Canadian or Mexican citizens. However, permanent residents of Canada and Mexico are not eligible to apply under this category.
  • The applicant’s occupation must appear on the list of occupations proposed by NAFTA.
  • U.S. job openings should require professionals listed under NAFTA.
  • Applicants must have a job in the United States prior to applying for a visa.
  • Applicants must have a degree related to their major.

However, applicants are not allowed to engage in self-employment activities. In addition, he must provide all relevant documents. This is very specific to his job offer document.Applicants must submit an employment letter from their U.S.-based employer that specifies NAFTA Listed professionally. Part-time work is also permitted.

The offer letter should clearly mention the following:

  • Details of the contract and a clear outline of the job duties the applicant will be involved in.
  • The primary purpose of entering the United States.
  • Estimated length of stay.
  • Employment certificate attesting to the applicant’s professional status.

Additional documentation should include proof of educational qualifications, proof of relevant and total work experience, and necessary licenses (if required). Some documents must also be submitted by the employer. Also, documents regarding one’s financial situation are important, among other documents.

The applicant’s spouse and children may also accompany the applicant. If the children are under 21 and unmarried, they will be allowed. They may be granted a derivatives trade-related visa or a TD visa. However, additional good faith proof that the relationship is genuine must be submitted. Also, dependents do not necessarily have to be Canadian or Mexican citizens. Spouses and children will be allowed to study but not work of any kind.

After the three-year period expires, the applicant may apply for an extension. There is no specific limit to the number of extensions an applicant can submit. If the applicant is in the United States, the extension may be requested by filing Form I-129 Petition. The alternative is to apply at the port of entry and follow the same procedure that was completed initially.

However, it is best to contact immigration and visa specialists who can guide applicants.

About the author


1 Comment

Leave a Comment